Thursday, January 8, 2009

The trails


The road is two miles long. It is a segue between two paved roads but it is dirt. Dirt and sand. The whole place is a pine barren, and the ground is pure sand. A long time ago this was ocean floor. Now when people ask me if I am near the sea, I can say that it once was! It is about 45 minutes from the ocean now. Only steps, though, to a pond, down the drive from a creek, and mile or two from several other ponds and a river.

The driveway to our place is exactly one mile in on the dirt road. I can still hear cars on the paved road side of the land. Mainers go pretty fast on the back roads too. On the other side, the trails have been made by snowmobilers. Snowmobiles in the winter and ATVs in the summer. That and motocross bikes. Not that I mind. I’m willing to put up with them because of the trails. The motors only go out at around 5 pm on Saturdays anyway. As a whole, I think they have a couple of drinks and then take off. I’ve only once seen an ATV on the trails in the morning when I was out. I don’t know about the snowmobiles because I’ve never stayed there in the winter.

Each morning, when I wake up, I walk in a different direction. Walk, sometimes run. Sometimes ride a mountain bike. Most of the trails don’t have signs, so I just follow them. I’ve found a trail around the pond, a trail to a field of glacial eratics and a trail up a mountain with views of the Whites from the top. Just recently found a trail to a convenience store! Now in addition to communing with nature, I can go buy something without walking on a paved road at all! Not that I ever think of something we need there. We usually have to make an event of getting in the car and going to the local general store, and it always involves ice cream for some people, even at 9 am. I know the time will come, though, when I have to get milk and I can be cheered up that I don’t have to get in a car at all, or touch pavement to get there. Only walk in the sand, climb a couple of hills and cross a stream. Not sure how I’ll keep the ice cream from melting, though.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

To Bob, and everyone: Comments can be left with no google ID, moderated by me. Just check "anonymous" below. Please let me know who you are in your comment, in that way I can respond! Loren

Carly said...

Hey Lor! I love the pictures and the blog! It will be fun to see the cabin taking shape. Some day maybe Kirk and I will embark on a similar journey up north in Michigan (well, we need to find OUR home in Ann Arbor first!) We will definitely come visit some summer not too long in the future. My only wish is that Maine, Michigan, and St. Louis were all closer together! Good luck and remember that it's all about the journey......
Carly

Anonymous said...

Carly - It has been a journey already for sure. So much energy has gone into it, and time. I hope that the cabin can be a place to get together in the future. Hopefully the distance won't be an issue. Or the time it takes to get there from Michigan and St. Louis.
Lor

Loren said...

To Carly, Maybe after the cabin is built, you will come up to visit! We take dogs of course! Good luck with your home finding in AA, how it that going?
Lore

Linda said...

While Loren is exploring the trails, I am usually sleeping, until Clay wakes me up. When she gets back sometimes we are all still asleep. My favorite part of the day is sipping coffee in one of our trash picked, but very comfortable chairs. I can sit and sip and gaze at the trees, water and sky all day. Later, I might go for a bike ride. The trails are so perfect. This blog is great, as it just brings me there.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great place. Quite a wonderful challenge.
You're going to have quite a journey this summer methinks!
mike

Loren said...

Mike, I hope you'll be able to come and see the place one day.