Saturday, January 31, 2009

New Plans







Hey, Loren,
Here are the plans, and an idea for the rear elevation. Yes, I added about 45 square feet to the project, but it is worth it in my opinion because the stairs just take up too much much-needed space. My recommendation would be not to be too chinsy on things that you're going to have to live with for the rest of your lives. As far as cutting costs, the first thing I'm looking at is that the porch seems pretty massive - is it to be enclosed with screening? or completely open? If open, then perhaps it doesn't need to be as big, even though personally I love it. Anyway, write me and let me know your thoughts. Also, could you give me some directions - N, S, E, W?

Talk soon,
Phil
Philip A. Gomez, Architect


Hi Phil!
Wow! That was a brainstorm to put the stairs on the outside! I've seen buildings like that and they are great. Would they steps be freezing in the winter? It looks like you put windows in the stairwell, which I like. Is it too extravagant? Maybe I can show the plans to the builder for and estimate at this point. I think we will still need a bulkhead to get things into the now full basement, like kayaks, if needed. With those stairs, we will feel like finishing the basement as well, one day.

I like all the closet space and the kitchen arrangement as well as the larger bathroom. I don't think we need the two sinks, but I guess we should think about the winter time when we are not all outside all of the time. The only change I'd make is to leave off the bedroom closet and put a window in that wall. I feel I need to see out in all directions. Then the small hall closet by the steps could be a small bedroom closet instead. We can just use a bureau instead of a closet in there anyway.

Speaking of all directions, the porch off of the living room is facing Northeast. So the corners really face the 4 directions rather than the sides. Living room corner faces east, and bathroom corner faces west.

did you look at the blog? It shows some views, the sun rises over the pond to the right of the dock. http://www.povertycabin.blogspot.com/

As for the porches, the side single entrance open porch (8x16) COULD be smaller, but we need shade in the summer outside! The main porch off of the living room will be 8x32 and all screened in. I know that will be our main living space during the buggy season, which is May thru July. We couldn't be up there at all because of black flies unless it was screened. August is really the most beautiful month.

That does not leave any room for cutting back on costs. No kitchen cabinets is the only thing I can think of.

I hope you are having a great trip in Colombia. Tell me about some of the places you have seen! Or are you spending all of your time working on these plans! I will be in touch very soon after some consultation on this end.
Take care and be safe,
Love,
Lor

No comments: